Sunday, December 29, 2013

Vegetarianism? A little can actually go a long way.

Ask any of my friends whether or not I would ever consider vegetarianism and you will hear a resounding NO WAY (if they say otherwise they probably don't know me very well).  In fact, I'm not even sure I would give up meat if you promised me I would have the body of a Victoria's Secret model. Don't get me wrong, many of my best friends and even my sister are staunch in their no meat views and that's great for them.  I'm a big believer in the Eat Right for Your Blood Type diet which explains that Type A blood types do better on a predominantly pescatarian diet (modified vegetarian diet that includes fish).  I on the other hand am an O blood type which is code for carnivore.  I do best with a high protein, high fruit and veggie, low grain and dairy diet (basically Paleo).  If you want to learn more about the Eat Right for Your Type diet you can visit Dr. Peter D'Adamo's website here.

With all of that being said,  I took an assessment of my diet not too long ago and realized that I was over-indulging in red meat (we're talking almost every day) and under-indulging in veggies, fruits and fish.  My solution?  Have at least one vegetarian meal per day and really change up my dinners to include more fish and chicken dishes. I even cook using a cast iron skillet so there's more iron released in my food (iron deficiency is a key reason our bodies crave red meat).  The result? I feel more energized and I've started to crave vegetables over meat.

Check out today's salad below.


What's in it: 
I opt for Organic Mixed Greens, they're more expensive than regular mixed greens but I find that organic fruits and veggies actually keep longer and are WAY better for you as they're devoid of nasty pesticides and preservatives. Plus, you can get them at an affordable price at Trader Joe's.

I added herbed goat cheese (also a Trader Joe's find, this stuff keeps FOREVER), beets (my favorite brand is called Love Beets and you can find them at Costco in bulk), sliced up baby carrots (Costco in bulk), sliced almonds, Trader Joe's Asian Style Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette (in the produce section....soooooo yummy), and just because you can't be completely good I add seasoned croutons.




No comments:

Post a Comment