Friday, November 29, 2013

Happy (Late) Thanksgiving!

My family has about a million traditions but some of my absolute favorites center around Thanksgiving.

We start the day with my Mom's famous Monkey Bread.

After that deliciousness we start prepping the Turkey Day feast.  Mashed potatoes, stuffing, jellied cranberries, green bean casserole, cornbread, turkey and my favorite: pistachio jello salad.

Post food binge we all go to the movies.  Yesterday's flick was Catching Fire.  SOOO GOOD.  If you haven't seen it you really must.


After movie time we come home and make gingerbread houses.  I would like to say that in previous years I have always come in last (mine falls because of structural damage before the night is up) BUT not this year.  In fact, according to the Facebook polling (oh yes, there's a poll) mine is in first place.


To be fair here's a picture of the competition:

Clockwise from top left: Max's house, Steve & Mady's house, Connor's house, Max's side view, Connor's swimming pool
While gingerbread houses are amazing my absolute favorite tradition is sitting around in a circle and taking turns saying why we're thankful for each person in the room. Its somewhat awkward at first but who doesn't love to hear why they're loved?  Lots of tears and laughs.  My family is the most incredible one in the world.

From Left: McKenna, Madysen, Dad, Me, Steve, Mom, Max, Cody, Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment