Monday, January 6, 2014

Easy Dinners--Honey Dijon Lemon Chicken

'Tis the season for trimming down your waist and your wallet.  Hence this recipe: its cheap, delicious and healthy. I love this recipe because I rarely have to go to the grocery store to get any of the ingredients.  Both honey and dijon mustard keep forever and if you get bottled Real Lemon Juice and keep it in the fridge you're good to go (you can even skip the lemon juice if you're in a bind). It seems like I do a lot of chicken recipes so I'll try to change it up next time and do fish or red meat.

Ingredients: 
1.5 lbs Chicken (3-4 Breasts)
1/2 cup Honey
1/4 cup Dijon Mustard (I used slightly less than a quarter cup)
Juice of 2 Lemons (or a couple of squirts from the Real Lemon Juice)
Lemon Pepper
21 Seasoning Salute (from Trader Joe's)
Red Pepper Flakes

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rinse off and trim the fat off of your chicken breasts and pat try with paper towels. 
  2. Season both sides of the chicken with lemon pepper, 21 Seasoning Salute and Red Pepper Flakes.  I don't measure this, I just do a couple of shakes of each seasoning on each side. 
  3. In a small bowl mix honey, dijon mustard and lemon juice.  Don't be afraid to taste it to make sure you've got the consistency right.
  4. Place the seasoned chicken breasts in an oven safe baking dish. Cover with the honey dijon marinade. 
  5. Cover with aluminum foil or the lid of the baking dish. Bake at 350 for approximately 40 minutes. 
  6. Enjoy! I always forget to take a pic of the finished product because I'm too busy enjoying it!
Now Dessert
Want some healthy dessert options? Check out one of my favorite bloggers: Taralynn McNitt and her fabulous blog Undressed Skeleton.  This girl loves to find ways to make traditionally unhealthy things (like the brownies here) healthy.

I made a couple of alterations to her brownie recipe.  I used gluten free baking flour (I really like Red Mills Gluten Free Flour because it includes Xantham Gum which helps when baking with non-glutinous grains).  I accidentally used too much unsweetened cocoa powder so I actually used 8 packets of Purevia instead of 5.  I also added extra chocolate chips to the batter instead of just on top (don't worry I added them on top too).  

This picture doesn't do them justice they're delish. Mine are a bit fudgey but I love them and love knowing that they're WAY better for me than traditional brownies.


No comments:

Post a Comment