Friday, August 11, 2017

An Open Letter to my 20s

Dear 20s,

Since we're parting ways in a few hours I didn't want to leave you too abruptly without properly talking through all that we've shared.

You've been good to me for the most part. Don't get me wrong we had a bit of a rocky start, (remember when we thought "wine pong" was a good idea? I still can't look at Yellowtail chardonnay without shuddering. BLAH.) but hey a lot of the best relationships do.

But let's not think about the less than stellar days. Let's look at your achievements.

You saw me graduate college and start my career.  There were some interesting jobs there in the beginning. Remember the one where we figured I was getting paid roughly $0.82/hour. That one was fun. But there's also been some great jobs like Rackspace, where I just celebrated my 5 year anniversary, that have brought me awesome friends, amazing travel opportunities and some of the best job experiences I could hope for.
Rackspace SOLVE NYC 2015
(Claudia, Heather, Haley, Dee, Juliana, Me and Christina) 

AWS Re:Invent, Las Vegas, 2015

We've lived on campus housing, with my parents, on the couches of friends (thanks for not killing me Ames), in a condo, and now in a beautiful house that is a bit suburban and makes me feel super grown up/old but I LOVE IT.

Steve and me on our wedding day - Feb 2, 2013 (25 Years old)
You introduced me to my husband. Twice actually. I missed it the first time but you and I had just met at the point and I wasn't sure you were to be trusted. When you tried again at 23 I noticed him in a big way. Less than two years later we were engaged and then married.

You've introduced me to some of my best girlfriends and continued to grow relationships I've had since before double digits were a thing (here's looking at you Emily, Amy and Blem).

Kristina, Me and Cara celebrating my 28th Birthday
(all three of us are pregnant in this pic...Cara literally had her baby a week later...yep I know) 
Me, Cara and Sarah...think this was Cara's 28th 
Some of The "Oldies" but "Goodies" on my 21st Birthday
 (Aubrey, Me, Ames and Emily) 


The Octet on our Wedding Day


The Shire in New Zealand (28 Years Old) 
You've definitely cultivated my world travel bug:
Trip 1) London, UK (Age: 20 Years Old)
Trip 2) Paris, France (Age: 21 Years Old)
Trip 3) Puerto Rico (Age: 22 Years Old)
Trip 4) Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Age: 25 Years Old)
Trip 5) Barcelona, Spain (Age: 27 Years Old)
Trip 6) Italy (Age: 27 Years Old)
Trip 7) Tokyo, Japan (Age: 28 Years Old)
Trip 8) New Zealand (Age: 28 Years Old)
Trip 9) Playa Del Carmen, Mexico (Age: 29 Years Old)

Honeymooning in Punta Cana (25 Years Old) 

The best thing we've shared though has got to be William. I mean truly, how can you not love that face?  He was born when I was 28 and his brother is due to come in a little over a month.




This has been one crazy decade full of life and adventure and I love the people I've gotten to do it with. Here's to the 30s and beyond. Its gonna be fun :).





No comments:

Post a Comment